Here are my tweets as they played out during the night and early hours of the morning. I didn’t realized it would reach so many people. At first I was just tweeting so my husband would know what was going on, then I kept tweeting to be sure I didn’t leave anyone in the dark. Here is the tweet time line:
January 8th 2010 9:14pm: OMG! I don’t know what to do. My cat just swallowed a needle and thread…
Gabby is the grey Torti one.
9:16pm: She is gagging and trying to vomit… It’s a freaking needle though. It’s stabbing her insides!
9:29pm: Trying to find a vet now… Have no way to get her there till hubby comes home :-( OMG!!
9:34pm: Fuck, fuck, fuck! I am such an idiot for leaving it out!
9:36pm: We so don’t have the money for this but can’t let her just digest the needle and thread…
9:48pm: Poor kitty, Everly & I are locked in the bathroom waiting for a ride 2 the vet for an ex-ray. Tried peroxide 2 induce vomit, nothing yet.
11:09:54 PM: Hubby just got home, still no cat vomit. Damn it.
11:18:54 PM: Okay, heading out to the vet now. Will update here: http://ow.ly/UseY
11:55:36 PM: Having the ex-ray now…
12:08:25 AM: We aren’t going to be able to save her, it’s $300 just for the ex-ray. That is all we have.
12:25:52 AM: Needle confirmed… $2000 quoted for surgery or we put her down for $350. Its a bad night.
Gabbys Ex-Ray Result.
12:49:27 AM: If they would only let us make payments…
January 9th 2010 1:04:01 AM: Still trying to decide what to do.
2:06:20 AM: Back at home and the remaining cats are climbing up the wall. One just got his head stuck in the handle of a paper bag and freaked.
2:07:16 AM: The emergency vet is just like a car dealership… The longer you draw out the ordeal the lower the price gets.
2:08:18 AM: While I cried and we agonized about the decision the gal kept coming in with “deals” lowering the price and sharing other options.
2:09:20 AM: They said they would even offer to save her and place her for adoption afterward as opposed to us putting her down… If we gave her up.
2:11:03 AM: Gabby is having surgery right now & we were given a $500 credit line with the vet (WTF?) and we’ll need to shell out another $400 at pick up.
2:16:35 AM: That’s $1100 less than the initial price we were given… Still tons of money. Should have a call in the next hour about how surgery went.
2:30:11 AM: Vet called, she did well and is recovering. We pick her up at the butt crack of dawn. Time 2 sleep a few hours first
12:14:58 PM: Awake from our daze now. She’s home and doing fine. Looks painful though.
As you can see she’s home and recovering now. We are in the hole financially for it but we couldn’t just lose her. I guess they have that on ya there at the vet. They know you’ll go broke trying to save em so they CAN expect you to shell out that much at the drop of a hat. Insane!
9:00:27 PM: Gabby is resting & has peed once today. Still not eating or drinking much. Gonna give her water in a dropper soon. Don’t want her dehydrated.
10:03:45 PM: Just forced some more water down Gabby’s throat. She still hasn’t had anything to eat or drink.
10:51:36 PM: @Crunchynurse I have some powdered cat milk I was going to make up and try to feed her via dropper. Figure it is better than nothing right?
January 10th 2010
12:16:24 PM: Good news! Gabby is so much more alert and active today. Peed twice this morning. Still no poop or eating on her own tho :-/
7:36:12 PM: She’s drinking on her own and even ate a few chunks of her dry food on her own. She’s a trooper.
January 11th 2010
11:28:19 AM: Gabby brought us her jingle ball and has been running and playing fetch all morning. She’s totally back to normal behavior now. Yay!
In 14 days we’ll have her staples removed and I’ll be sure to NEVER leave a needle unattended again. $900 lesson learned, thank you very much.